Nowadays, many people have developed serious interest in vedic astrology; and trying to work upon various techniques of decoding a horoscope. And, one of such concept, growing quite popular in recent times, is Indu Lagna also known as Dhana Lagna or Wealth Ascendant. This is a special ascendant, which is derived through calculating cumulative position of ninth house from Ascendant/Lagna and the Moon.
How to calculate and find out the Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna (Wealth Ascendant):
First, we have to know about some values assigned to the planets, which are to be used in this calculation and are mentioned below:
**The planets Rahu and Ketu are not used in this calculation.
- After this, find out the zodiac sign (rashi) falling in the ninth house of the Lagna Chart; and write down the value of the lord of ninth house.
- Find out the zodiac sign (rashi) falling in the ninth house of the Moon Chart; and write down the value of ninth house lord in Moon Chart.
- Add both these values; and then, divide it by 12 and note down the remainder, which will be between 0 to 11.
- Count the number from the position of the Moon; and the house identified will be the Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna or Wealth Ascendant.
If the remainder is zero, the house/sign falling in the twelfth house from the Moon Or the previous house from the natal Moon’s position will be considered as Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna or Wealth Ascendant. If the remainder is one, the house/sign occupied by the Moon will be considered as Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna or Wealth Ascendant. And, similarly the position of Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna can be identified for the horoscope.
For your convenience and better understanding; let us do the calculation for one example horoscope, which belongs to famous celebrity Shahrukh Khan.
Shahrukh Khan is born in Leo Ascendant (Simha Lagna); and, the ninth house is ruled by Mars. The value assigned to Mars is 6.
As per Moon Chart of Shahrukh Khan, the ninth house is ruled by Mercury; and, the value assigned to Mercury is 8.
Adding these values gives a total of 14; and after dividing it by 12, the remainder is 2.
Indu Lagna_Dhana Lagna_Wealth Ascendant – Shahrukh Khan
Counting two positions from the Moon gives Aquarius zodiac (Kumbha Rashi); which will be the Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna or Wealth Ascendant for Shahrukh Khan’s horoscope.
After ascertaining the Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna; the next step is to analyze it. As the name suggests, Dhana Lagna or Wealth Ascendant is meant for analyzing the financial prospects of a horoscope. The basic rules, in this regard, are as under:
- The planets placed in the first, second, fourth, seventh, tenth and eleventh houses of Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna are told to be the giver of wealth and financial gains to the native.
- The planets having their aspect on the first house of Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna are also considered to be supportive for generating financial gains for the native.
- Debilitated, weak or malefic planets, in the above situation, are considered to be the destroyer of wealth. However, if such malefic planet is exalted or otherwise strong and/or receiving auspicious planetary influences; it can also generate financial gains.
- Planets disposed in third, sixth, eighth and twelfth houses from the Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna are considered to be inauspicious for wealth and financial prospects of the horoscope.
- The results of these planets are experienced during their Dasa and/or Antardasa and in accordance with their strength and disposition.
In the example horoscope of Shahrukh Khan, Saturn, Rahu, Mars, Mercury, Ketu and Venus are considered to be giver of wealth. Besides this, Jupiter should also be considered as such it is having its aspect on the first house (Aquarius/Kumbha) of Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna.
On ground applicability of this concept: Although, it may appear quite fascinating as well as promising to some extent; however, in my opinion, the practical application of this concept is quite doubtful. The primary flaw in this concept is that it does not consider Navamsha or other divisional charts; due to which it can generate similar and/or wrong conclusions for more than one person. Besides this, the confusions may also be there in correlating the results of Lagna Chart with Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna.
In my personal opinion, until and unless, one can clearly differentiate between two horoscopes having the same Lagna but different divisional charts; it may not be possible to conclude effectively and the possibility of having wrong or ambiguous results becomes more.
Like, in the example horoscope of Shahrukh Khan, the planets Saturn, Rahu, Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Ketu and Venus are considered to be the giver of wealth. And, during the Mahadasa of Jupiter (April 1992 to April 2008), the native (Shahrukh Khan) did enjoyed good amount of wealth and money. However, as per the Lagna Chart too, the disposition of Jupiter in eleventh house is auspicious and supportive for financial gains and fame. And, how would one knows or decides which chart (Lagna Chart or Indu Lagna Chart) is dependable and/or responsible for this aspect?
Besides this, the Lagna Chart remains operational for around two hours; and, the Moon remains in one zodiac sign for around 54 hours. And, that can generate very similar results for people taking birth during the same Lagna within those 54 hours.
The birth details of Shahrukh Khan are 2 November 1965 at 2:30 AM at Delhi, India as per which his Lagna/Ascendant is Simha(Leo). And, on that day, the Leo Ascendant remained operational between 12:50 AM to 3:07 AM. That means that anyone who has taken birth between 12:50 AM to 3:07 AM on 2 November 1965 in Delhi will have the same planetary disposition as of Shahrukh Khan’s Lagna Chart. And, not only this, but anyone who is born between 12:54 AM to 3:11 AM on 1 November 1965 in Delhi, will also have the same Lagna and Moon Chart as of Shahrukh. This also means that every person born during these four hours and thirty four minutes (12:54 AM to 3:11 AM on 1 November 1965 in Delhi + 12:50 AM to 3:07 AM on 2 November 1965 in Delhi) will have the same Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna.
And, therefore, concluding the financial prospects of all such people (born during these 4 hours and 34 minutes) on the basis of same chart (Indu Lagna) may not be wise and rational. The only difference in this case will be the operation of Dasas; which will be shifting within some days to few years; while, the overall conclusion about the wealth and financial prospects have to be decided with the same chart (Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna).
Hence, in my opinion, the reliability of Indu Lagna or Dhana Lagna is very limited; and one may remain vulnerable to draw wrong and/or ambiguous conclusions. The crux of vedic astrology is directly related to the time; and, that is why, the use of divisional charts has been suggested by the Ancient Sages of India.